The Many Wonders of WriteOnCon 2018
I am SO excited to share the news that WriteOnCon is returning! I absolutely loved this conference when it was first started, which prompted me to gather a few friends and reboot it again. If you didn’t get a chance to attend last year, I think you’re going to love it. If you did, you’ll already know how it rocks. But just in case you need a reminder…
- We’ve got both bestselling and newly-minted authors, agents and editors, and other industry professionals holding live Q&As and pitch sessions and sharing their knowledge in blog posts and vlogs and podcasts.
- We’ve got critiques by industry professionals for sale — a rare opportunity to have agents, editors and awesome authors give you feedback on your work.
- We’ve got super fantastic forums where you can connect with other writers and get more critique — and maybe even catch the eye of one of our super-stealthy ninja agents!
- We’ve got fun and friendship and fabulous features that will help you improve your craft and your manuscript, no matter what age you write for. (Yeah, we’re technically a kidlit conference, and you’re only going to find kidlit speakers here. But you can take all the tips and tricks you learn at WriteOnCon and apply them to your adult manuscript, too.)
Yes, all that is just a summary! That’s how amazing WriteOnCon is. Check out the #WriteOnCon hashtag to see reactions from people who attended last year. We’re bringing back all of the usual events, and there won’t even be a website crash this time! (Our webhost tech support dude Thomas has assured us.)
But — cue dramatic announcer voice — that’s not all!
We’ve got a ton of new stuff:
- Workshops. These are going to be a hands-on classroom-style live events where the speaker will introduce you to a new writing technique and you’ll have an opportunity to apply it to your own writing, share your work, and ask questions. All without ever having to leave your home! (Who remembers pajama day at school?)
- Panels. We’ve got at least four panels confirmed so far, discussing topics ranging from diversity in kidlit to writing picture books. These are going to be incredible conversations you won’t want to miss, including some familiar and leading names in the industry.
- Sensei authors. Anyone who’s attended before will probably be familiar with our ninja agent program. This year we’re adding some knowledgeable mentors by inviting traditionally published authors to use their own writing experience to offer helpful feedback, too. Our goal is to have every writer who posts material receive some feedback from an industry professional!
- Red Pencil Sessions and Story Consultations. These will be available alongside the more traditional page and query critiques in our Indiegogo campaign this year. When you buy a Red Pencil Session you’ll get the opportunity to discuss — like actual two-way conversation, by Skype or other methods! — your pages with the industry professional who read them. Story Consultations offer you the chance to hash out writer’s block, plot holes and character problems with industry professionals who can offer unique insight and advice.
- And perhaps my favorite addition of all this year — there will be swag! Because no conference-going experience is complete without a souvenir of your time there. We’ll be selling t-shirts, mugs, notebooks, and more featuring designs created just for WriteOnCon 2018. (They’re gonna be awesome. I’ll be buying five.) Watch for our announcement here and on our social media channels when the shop goes live in November.
I am Pretty. Darn. Stoked.
We’re bringing back some of last year’s fantastic speakers, but we’ll be showcasing even more new faces for WriteOnCon 2018. We’re making an effort to include more professionals from areas beyond MG and YA this year — we’ve already got some incredible PB events lined up, for instance!
And we hope to surpass last year’s total of 105 speakers. Judging by how many people have already signed up (nearly 40, as of this writing! and we’ve only just begun!) we’re well on our way! We’ll be adding names to our speakers page as they’re confirmed, so check in there to see who the latest participants are!
And while you’re there, swing by our WriteOnCon organizers page to meet our hardworking team. The core team members from last year — myself, Alyssa, Carey, Hannah, Amy, and Jen — are all back this year, but we’re joined by a whole bunch of new, enthusiastic recruits to help make our workload a little easier — and hopefully keep things running more smoothly.
Our early-bird admissions will be opening up through our Indiegogo campaign on November 1. Until December 7, you’ll be able to buy critiques from industry professionals and discounted admissions to the conference. After that, admission prices go up and you’re out of luck on the critiques! So mark your calendars and don’t forget! (Also, WriteOnCon admission and a swag mug make a great inexpensive holiday gift idea. Just sayin’.)
We can’t wait to show you what all we’ve got brewing. Follow us on Twitter (@WriteOnCon), Facebook, Instagram, or here on the blog to catch our updates and be the first to hear news and announcements — like speaker additions, new Indiegogo perks, or giveaway promotions. Share your excitement for the conference using #WriteOnCon2018 — we love to hear from you!
Look forward to seeing you there!